Thursday, May 24, 2007

The smarts of my friend Ryan

So my friend Ryan posted this on his blog on Myspace and I thought it was a great idea. So with his premission I am reposting it here to see what everyone else thinks.

Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work, they pay me.
I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as they see fit. In order to get that paycheck, I am required to pass a random urine test, which I have no problem with. What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test.
Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check, because I have to pass one to earn it for them? Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sit on their ass. Could you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was always of the opinion that people would have to do SOMETHING to get the check. Pick up litter, stamp envelopes, even if they have to go down to the office and sit in a chair for three hours it would be a way of reminding them that the check has value and doesn't just fall from the sky.

Trouble with a urine test is that often, people on welfare have health issues and may be legitimately taking a drug that might cause a urine test failure. I don't know if that is possible because I haven't studied the system, but that was the first thing that popped into my mind.

Dan said...

Hmm slothboy, you bring up a valid point. That is not something I had thought of. But I completely agree that people need to do something to get the welfare check. And I also think that there needs to be a time limit on how long people are allowed to receive welfare.